CHÂTEAU DUHART MILON ROTHSCHILD
Clic Vin advices
The history of Château Duhart-Milon is strongly linked to its closest neighbour – Château Lafite Rothschild. In the 18th century, The Milon wines served as additional income for Lafite’s master, and became Château Lafite’s second wine. Later Milon was sold to the Castéja family who were its owners when the 1855 classification recognized the quality of Duhart-Milon’s terroir by ranking it as the only 4th growth wine in Pauillac. However, the result of successive inheritances led to the sale of the estate. Since 1930s the property went through five different owners in just 25 years, and the splitting up of the vineyards caused a speedy decline. The quality of the Château’s wines declined considerably until the Rothschild family purchased the property in 1962 and since then the name of the estate becomes Château Duhars-Milon Rothchild. Major construction projects were then undertaken in the vineyard: draining, uprooting and replanting, the purchase of adjacent plots, and reintegrating the vineyard by trading plots. New cellar and vat rooms were installed. From 1973 to 2001 the vineyard increased from 42 ha to 71 ha. Today this incredible 40-year effort results in the remarkable quality of a true Grand Cru Classé of Pauillac.