Clic Vin advices
“Fonréaud”, formerly “Font-réaux”, means “Royal Fountain”. Legends say, in the twelfth century, the king of England and the husband of Eleanor d’Aquitaine, stopped at the estate’s fountain to drink at a fresh spring. The current cellars were built in the seventeenth century, and overhauled over time. The château replaced the original farmhouse, when in 1850 Henri Le Blanc de Mauvezin, then owner, decided to build it. In 1962, Léo Chanfreau, winemaker in Algeria, returned with his family in France and fell in love with Fonréaud. Thanks to his enthusiasm the château undertook major work, the vineyards have been replanted and the new cellars have been built. Today, Jean et Marie-Hélène Chanfreau continue taking care of the vineyards and producing with passion quality wines.